1. MAC Lipstick, $16.00. 2. Essie Nail Polish in Wicked, $8.00. 3.Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quad in 37, $61.00. 4. NARS Lip Pencil in Matte Train Bleu, $25.00.
What Are Your Breakouts Telling You?
It happens. Although we are past our awkward teen years, we can’t help but get mini breakouts in strange spots from time to time. I stumbled across this breakout chart on Lauren Conrad’s website, and found it helpful. A breakout is just our body trying to tell us something, so why not listen?
- Forehead. Breakouts across the forehead are often triggered by stress or sleep deprivation. Make sure to log 7 to 9 hours of beauty rest a night to keep your forehead clear.
- Above the brow. The area above the brow is affected by your immune system. Breakouts here tend to happen right before, after, or during a cold or flu. If you notice a breakout in this zone, slow down for a couple days, drink plenty of water and eat these 10 immune boosting foods.
- Between brows. Breakouts between the brows can be caused by overindulgence of unhealthy foods or a food allergy. Cutting back on sugar, dairy, rich foods, and alcohol can help clear up skin in this zone.
- Cheeks. Your cheeks are linked to your respiratory system. Smoking or breathing polluted air can cause breakouts here.
- Side of chin. The sides of your chin are affected by hormones. Breakouts here occur around the time of your period and happen on one side or another depending on which ovary is ovulating that month.
Gold & Silver & Lace, Oh My!
I stumbled upon these super cool, eye-catching tattoos at Paper Source about two years ago, and have been wearing them ever since. I “layer” them with my watch for events, and will put a thin one on my wrist from time to time. They are the perfect accessory because they do not get caught on things as some bracelets can. For an unexpected twist on a classic bracelet, scoop them up for yourself.
Lacy Fashion Tattoos, $12.95, at Paper Source.
J.Crew Announces New Beauty Collab
Jenna Lyons always knows what we want before we know ourselves. This was definitely the case with J.Crew’s latest collab with Bite Beauty. The beauty collab consists of bright, creamy, matte lipsticks in an easy to use crayon form. Each company that J.Crew has chosen to collaborate with beauty wise has been green oriented, and Bite Beauty is no different. Bite Beauty is 100% natural, but still maintains a high pigment for lasting color.
The J.Crew X Bite Beauty collab will be available in stores from July 28th to October 31st. You can also find them online.
Bite Beauty X J.Crew Matte Lip Crayon, $24.00
In The Blue
Wearing bright make up can be hard to pull off. Smudged orange lipstick? You could look like a clown. Too much purple eyeshadow? You get questions about your black eye. Usually, we stick to demure browns and blacks for fear of looking a little faux pas.
However, the playful wardrobe that comes along with summer weather allows us to think outside the boring box, which for me, means playing with shades of blue. Cool blue tones look good on almost every skin tone, especially the very fair or the extremely dark.
A swipe of blue eyeliner can transform your whole look, and give your eyes the pop you may have needed. For blue or green eyes, it is recommended by Bobbi Brown that gals line eyes with a dark blue pencil and smudge. For brown eyes, a hint of blue/lilac looks best.
There are endless options, but remember one simple rule: do not match your make-up to your clothes. If you are opting for blue shadow, keep the rest of your make-up on the natural side. Do not do a strong lip with a bold shadow or liner, the colors could clash and compete with each other.
My personal favorite, is MAC Eyeshadow in Electric Eel. I can dust it on lightly with black mascara, or wet a thin brush and use it as eye liner. All of the shadows, mascaras, and liners listed below can be found at Sephora or your nearest department store.
1. Estée Lauder Pure Color Stay-on Shadow Paint in Bold Cobalt. 2. Dolce & Gabbana The Eyeliner in 21. 3. MAC Pearlglide Intense Eyeliner in Petrol Blue. 4. Diorshow by Dior Mascara in Catwalk blue. 5. Stila Smudge Stick Water Proof Eyeliner in Turquoise. 6. MAC Eye Shadow In Electric Eel.
Calm Dry Skin Or A Sunburn
We have all been there. A trip to the beach easily becomes a day in the sun, leaving your skin dried out or worse, a little red. Although it is always important to reapply SPF throughout the day, usually with a body lotion and a separate face lotion for maximum benefits, sometimes you just can’t fight it.
If you find yourself a victim of the suns damaging rays, there is a quick fix to sooth the burn. Try applying a calming mask to your face as soon as you get home and out of the sun. This will help drench your skin with moisture, and sooth the red spots and reduce inflammation. Not working? Store some aloe gel in the fridge and slather it on your face after the mask.
My top favorites would be Yes To Cucumbers, Sephora’s Pearl Mask, and Boscia Cool Blue Calming Mask. None of these masks will break the bank, so go ahead and give your skin some TLC.
Slenderize In One Simple Step
A few months ago, a friend I met in LA introduced me to a chubby brown crayon that became a mini miracle worker. I have never really worn make-up, preferring the natural look 99% of the time. I did not know what I was missing out on by not staying up to date in the beauty game.
Introducing,The Sculptor by Tarte. Contouring can be intimidating. Too little and you get no result, too much and you look like a child’s art project. Chubby brown make-up crayons with creamy textures allow you to apply a little at a time and blend, making it easier to forgo mistakes.
Contouring allows you to slim the face and draw attention to your cheekbones without looking overdone. Allure loves The Sculptor too, offering some advice on technique:
“Draw short dashes anywhere you want shadow (under your cheekbones and jawline), then blend those lines downward with your fingers.”
At just $24.00, it won’t break the bank and will last a while due to the sheer formula. You can easily pick one up for yourself at Sephora. It comes in the universally flattering Tarte shade, Park Ave Princess.
Found: The Perfect Pink Pout
Get a bold pout in one swipe with Kevyn Aucoin’s vibrant fuchsia ‘Janelline’ lip color. Enriched with Sunflower Seed, Castor and Lanolin Oils, it leaves a smooth, patent finish without the weight or stick of traditional glosses. The patented applicator makes it easy to apply precisely and evenly.